Friday, September 29, 2017

Gadsby's Taven Ball

Last week, I went to Gadsby's Tavern Museum's Jane Austen Ball. (Wow, what a mouthful!) I last went to a ball there four years ago (see: here), so it was wonderful to go back! 

I'll make a post about the dress when it's actually complete

I was overly ambitious, and decided I wanted a sew a new dress for the occasion... It turned out fine in the end, but it caused a lot of stress from Thursday to Saturday. Because I was short on time and the deadline was fast-approaching, my mother kindly help with the majority of the sewing, aside from the bodice. It's not an entirely me-made project, but it's certainly progress!

It's pinned to the shoulders and in the back but it's still lovely!
I saw friends that I wasn't aware were also going to the event (pictured below) and got to learn some dances I've never done before! Also, this was my first time trying a 1790's hairstyle, so I would love to get some feedback on how I did. (P.S. I didn't use any false hair pieces; it's all my own)
These and the three pictures that follow it are from Hancock Photography
The Ball itself was a wonderful event, and one that I hope to return to next year! There was a little booklet with all of the dance names and figures, which I'll treasure because of the previously unfamiliar dances. The caller was excellent and made the event very fun. He even danced the last dance, in my set!
In this picture you can see part of the musician's balcony which simultaneously
provides them a good view of the room and lends incredible acoustics to their sound.
 Most of the dances were longways sets, which I'm comfortable with after a single walk-through. Cotillions, however, are a different story. I've danced maybe three, total? To my surprise, after getting into a square set of four with the lovely gentleman (pictured below), the caller announced that there would be no walk-throughs of the cotillion. My partner was incredibly helpful. I couldn't have made it through without him. Throughout the dance, I'm certain equal amounts of surprise and joy passed across my face.
A picture from the very fast-moving cotillion!
The hall seems incredibly spacious until there were more than five or six lines trying to dance at once. At that point, there were some collisions but not so many to making dancing less enjoyable.
Check out the gallery here!

All in all, a wonderful night!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment